This is my all time favorite recipe for any occasion! Having a BBQ with a few friends, no problem this salad will go great as an appetizer on a hot summer day or serve it as a desert with some yogurt added. Or make it a fun day at a local farm picking fruit with your kids and later on have them help you make the salad.
The best thing about this recipe is that you cannot make it wrong! Add more or less fruit depending on your liking. Any fruits available will do. I often use: Grapes, cherries, mangoes, apricots, plums, cantaloupe, pineapple, peaches, berries of any sort, even canned fruits will do.
This recipe makes enough to fill up a 3 qt bowl and will feed about 4-5 people.
Watermelon, only one disc was used.
- #1 Gather all the fruits and give them a good rinse.
- #2 Peel and pit apple, pear and kiwis and shop them up in cubes of any size you like 😉 Place in a mixing bowl.
- #3 Discard the skin of bananas and cut them in rings.
- #4 Cut the end of strawberries and chop them in cubes as well. Add to the rest of the fruits.
- #5 Slice the watermelon in half, get the seeds out if not seedless, cut a small disk and lay it flat on the cutting board. Cut the skin of the slice in a circle and chop up in bite size pieces.
- #6 Combine all the ingredients, mix well, and make sure not to squash the fruit. Leave it in a fridge for an hour to let the flavors combine and you are DONE!
- To keep the salad from turning brown squeeze a few drops of lemon juice on top. Bananas usually turn brown very quickly, so if you plan on eating in a day or two add bananas right before serving.
- Be as creative as you can: add regular or flavored yogurt with some nuts or get strawberry dressing from any groceries store, ice cream with some chocolate shell to pore over the top is always great too!
- Try adding brown sugar or honey if there is not enough sweet fruits in the salad or if the fruits are out of season.
- If your goal is to lose weight try staying away from: canned fruits, bananas and dates (50g). They are all pack with over 100 calories per piece!